NOW is the TIME
What's the spelling of time? In my world, it is N-O-W i.e. NOW.
Now is the only time you have because as you already know, yesterday is gone and tomorrow is yet to come.
Stephen R. Covey said something very profound; "The key is not spending it but investing in time." Why did he say that? Becasue there are people who "spend" their time doing useless, meaningless things that add no value to their lives. As a matter of fact, those things devalue their life. According to my understanding of the word spend, when you spend something it means you will never get it back again. It's gone for good. On the other hand when you "invest" in something, it means at one point in life it will give you some returns. May not be now or tomorrow, but eventually it will. So when you invest in your time, you are sure you will get some returns out of it.
So, how do you invest in time? Here are some 5 pointers that you can apply?
- Never let a minute of your time go idle. Take advantage of your passive time to do something constructive. Eg when you go to the toilet, instead of taking your phone with you to chat with people and make comments on the latest fashion photos they posted online, why not go there with a book and get your read on? If your books are on a hand-held device then do what I do when am reading; activate airport mode so you don't get any kind of distractions.
- Make use of time. In other words, don't let an opportunity pass you by for whatever reason. There are some opportunites that are a once-in-a-lifetime kind of deal and once missed they are gone forever. So take advantage of every time you see an opportunity that is in line with your goals/vision for that season. Which brings me to the next thing...
- "NO" is a very acceptable response. You don't always have to say "Yes" to everything you are asked. Learn to say no without guilt or fear because failure to do that will only frustrate you. To read more on this click here.
- Learn the difference between Urgent and Important. Not everything urgent is important, and by the way, urgent to who? Me or you? Unless something directly affects me in one way or another, I will always activate number 3 above; NO can do. The number on rule of time management is to work on the important things first and everything else will fall into place. It is all a matter of choice, not chance.
- It is a matter of CHOICE not CHANCE. In other words, don't leave anything to chance, right from the people you associate yourself with, to the activities you allow yourself to engage in, to places you visit, food you eat, etc. Activate the self-control App in your system and chance will never have a chance (pun intended) in you again.
And here's a bonus one....
Be Ignited. Be Inspired. Be Influenced. Be the best version of yourself you can ever be.