H For Honesty
H For Honesty
Honesty is the absence of deceit. It is the ability to be candid and frank even when it is unpopular to do so. When you are honest, you will never have to memorize anything you say to anyone because whatever you say to anyone is the truth. “Honesty is more than not lying. It is truth telling, truth speaking, truth living, and truth loving.” Anonymous.
They say honesty is the best policy….until you have to be honest with yourself then it becomes the hardest policy to adopt! This validates the person who said, “The hardest person to be honest with is yourself.” Not sure whose quote this is but they were very right!
You see, not many of us have the guts to look at ourselves in the mirror and call out the bull sh*t [or what I call BS] in ourselves. Let me tell you what I discovered; you can lie to the whole world and get away with it but you will never lie to yourself and get away with it. You will always know you are lying to you. I know this firsthand.
I love something Nelson Mandela said about personal honesty. This is what he said; “As I have said, the first thing is to be honest with yourself. You can never have an impact on society if you have not changed yourself…..Great peacemakers are all people of integrity, of honesty, but humility.”
There are many reasons why you should always work towards being honest with yourself.
- Being honest with yourself leads to feelings of openness, expansion, inner joy and freedom.
- If you can’t tell you the truth then chances are high that you can’t tell others the truth either.
- Being honest with yourself opens you up to self-scrutiny, a process that is needed in order to identify the things you need to become world-class [like Robin Sharma would say].
- Being honest with yourself makes you bold and fearless. I mean, if you can call out your own “BS”, after that, someone else’s negative opinion of you will feel like nothing.
- When you are honest with yourself, your level of personal responsibility and accountability increases. You will notice that even the choices you make will be different.
- Being honest with yourself provides clarity. This will help you make wise decisions e.g. if you know you lack the skills to do something, you will be careful enough not to apply for jobs that require that skill until you up-skill yourself. You will focus on what you can do as you work on bettering yourself…
- ...... etc.
My call to you is this:
If you forget everything else you’ve read above remember this; the worst kind of lie to tell is a lie to yourself.
To listen to my podcast on H For Honesty click here.
Remember, respect and love yourself enough to always want to be honest with yourself. You deserve it.
Be ignited. Be inspired. Be influenced. Become the best version of yourself you can ever be.